Saturday, October 4, 2014

I have a lot to say, apparently.

Sorry, this got kind of long.



I hung up my cleats for the season (Did I even put them on? Can't recall.) effective last Friday. We did a short bike ride of about 4 miles last Friday evening and while I felt fine at the end, the pain in my leg turned up a few notches and I was in agony for the weekend.

I had chemotherapy on Thursday (10/2) and am working today. I'd kind of hoped any stiffness or pain would hold off until tomorrow, but it has started already. It was interesting - for most of Thursday (after chemo) and Friday, I was pretty much totally pain free. I thought it was the steroids, but now I'm thinking it was the heated chair I was in for treatment on Thursday afternoon.

Tonight there's a party for the cycling team I rode for during the National Bike Challenge. I rode 248 miles over 58 days this summer. While I am in awe of those of my friends whose own numbers were in the thousands of miles, I'm pretty damn proud to have been able to get on a bike and ride at all. Unfortunately, my health did not allow me to ride more than I did, but that's okay.

That's not to say it hasn't been hard not to ride - physical limitations aside, it hurts me not to ride mentally. There's a Critical Mass ride? I want to go. I want to be there with my friends. I can't. Team ride? Same thing. I feel like I'm letting people down, and I don't know why. It's hard for me to put my health first, sometimes.

So anyway yeah, this party. My leg is so stiff right now, it's crazy. If I make it to this shindig I will warn you now - I'm not getting up once I sit down. I apologize in advance. Right now, I have to endure about a split second of excruciating pain every time I get up. Then, I can kind of walk. So if I wince, please don't panic. I'll be able to take some pain meds too - I'm a little less worried about being looped up at a party than I am about being looped at work.

My oncologist informed me that since my previous labs on 9/18, that my hemoglobin was low (it went from 10.6 to 8.2. I am to watch for shortness of breath and other symptoms, and labs will be re-drawn next week. If my hemoglobin drops again, I'll need a blood transfusion. I also have an MRI and a consult with Radiation Oncology to discuss how the CyberKnife treatments worked, and what my next step would be. Think happy, tumor melting thoughts okay?

The weather has turned cold, and I mean drastically. Yesterday it was in the 70s. Now, it's in the 40s. This could also be contributing to my "old lady hobble" as I like to call it. I feel kind of like hiding under the covers, but that's boring. Less than an hour to go at work, and then I can rest for a while.

After this cycle ends, I will have a PET scan to see where the cancer is active, or if it's active. A CT scan will show spots where cancer has been active, but will not display current activity. There will likely always be spots, even if the cancer goes completely away in an area - it's kind of like a scar. Then, I will have one more round of my current treatment, and then I will begin some form of maintenance therapy in hopes to continue controlling the cancer.

They found another mutation but it's not serious. I will update later.

3 comments:

  1. NEVER EVER feel you are letting any of us down - or yourself! You are amazing that you have ridden what you did. And even if that wasn't possible? You were always there in spirit. Got that?
    Mentally hard. Yah, the 'there in spirit' shit certainly is. Watching your friends do something you are so passionate about but cannot do as you wish. THAT is a definite emotional game player. But girl? You know we have your back. You know we know you're strong. You know we understand your pain. But? You know we also know you are this incredible woman who, no matter how upset this makes you? Is able to get back up, brush it off...and fight.

    #love #you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are phenomenal!! There will be days for more rides and your mind will catch up. You will be amazed at what your body and mind can do, even with hemoglobin at 8. Persistence. Keep going on and on and on ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You. Are. AMAZING! I am so incredibly proud of you and VERY glad you were able to make it out to the party tonight. :) ~Charity

    ReplyDelete