Sunday, August 17, 2014

Wigging OUT!

Unfortunately, my week-long getaway in upstate NY had to end. We got home this afternoon after splitting the 9+ hour ride home into two days (we stopped last night in Syracuse).

The drive out of the Adirondack park was pretty scary. At times, it rained very hard. The roads were mostly in good shape, but many lacked the little reflectors that we all probably take for granted most of the time. There were some curves/turns that didn't have reflectors on poles by the side of the road, and there were no street lights. We made it out, but it didn't get much better on Route 81! I was so glad when we finally stopped moving (in other words, arrived at our hotel)!!

We'd just enjoyed a dinner and celebration with a LOT of family members who drove/flew in to celebrate my Father-in-law's birthday. He really does a lot for us (and for the rest of his family) so it was really wonderful to have a day with so many loved ones that was all for him. It was really great to see people I hadn't seen in a couple of years (or more). It was sad that we had to leave so soon, but I'm back to work tomorrow. 

I was having quite a bit of pain in my left leg all week, but yesterday was the worst. Pain medication didn't touch it - but to be fair I only tried Advil, I did not want to take narcotics or muscle relaxers. I woke up today with significantly less pain, so that was nice. I can actually walk today without hesitation or limping. I've brought it up with my oncologist's nurse who thinks it could be anything from referred pain from bone mets, or just a muscle pull. 

This week I meet with my Radiation Oncologist to follow up on the CyberKnife treatment I had. We're not doing any scans, it's mostly just to discuss how I'm feeling, and to talk about any side effects I'm experiencing. 

My hair continues to thin, and it's getting to the point where it's annoying me. It sticks straight up most of the time, and it's very obviously extremely thin when I slick it down with something. Most people say it looks great, but I have a hard time believing it - I think it's mostly positive talk and that's great, but as I continue to pull away little bunches of strands whenever I touch my head - I tell myself the hair has got to go. 

I checked with my insurance rider to see if my plan covers wigs. Good news, it does! Bad news, there's only one networking provider and it seems that they only specialize in styles that pay tribute to 1970s power-butch lesbians. 

Rawr.
That's a fine thing to be, but the hair-do isn't my style at all. They only have 15 designs/styles and they are nearly identical. I looked elsewhere online and DAMN... Wigs are expensive! I'm not trying to emulate Beyonce, I don't need a lace front - but short of wearing a halloween novelty wig, I'm going to be out a few hundred bucks, at least. A friend of mine has offered to go wig shopping locally, where I am told I can find perfectly good options well under 100 dollars. 

Until then, I do not know that I am ready to rock the baldness - I still don't like scarves very much (I'm just not used to feeling them on my head, and they kind of itch) and there's one hat that I love, but it's not appropriate for all situations. I will continue my research!

That's all for now. I didn't even drive today but I'm exhausted (and getting sick, I'm afraid. I have a persistent sore throat). 

No comments:

Post a Comment