Saturday, December 20, 2014

Maybe We're Crazy...

It's amazing the crazy things you'll do when you have to.

Sometimes when I'm sitting on my bed giving myself a Lovenox (blood thinner) shot I laugh to myself and think, "Who on earth would willingly stab themselves in the stomach with a needle?" but I do it anyway, because I have to.

I've had people ask me "Why on earth would you want to do chemotherapy? That stuff is POISON! Here, eat lemons instead." Wait, seriously? I mean, it's not like I *enjoy* chemotherapy - does anyone? I seriously don't see anything like this happening

This never happens.



...But you do what you have to do. Sometime it's unpleasant -  but that's the reality. There's science behind its efficacy, there's no science to your lemon juice enemas.
If there's one thing I've learned, is that you really need to communicate with your doctors. Anyone I've worked with has always had a "Help me help YOU" mentality. You don't feel well? Tell them. Some weird side effect? Tell them. ASK QUESTIONS. This is basic, but I've know plenty of people who would soon rather not go to the doctor at all, or wait until whatever they're going through is REALLY bad, or trust the advice of their doctor implicitly - no questions asked. I'm not saying doctors are bad, but you really ought to know about what they're doing for you/to you or prescribing for you and why. Don't gamble with your health!!


C'mon, clean bill of health...Aaaaaand, STOP!


An office co-pay costs a LOT less than a trip to the ER, or an inpatient stay. Do not ignore your body, because it'll tell you something's up - more often than not. I've said it before, if you don't have a Primary Care Physician, you need to get one. Mine truthfully saved my life. I may have cancer, but she found a blood clot in my leg that could have easily caused a heart attack or stroke. I'm grateful that I had a physician to assess me before it was too late.

I had my third round of chemotherapy in the clinical trial yesterday, and I have to say I feel pretty good. My legs are sore, but the previous two days I did more walking than I've done in a LONG time. Pain management is key, honestly. It took me a year, and multiple "Don't be a hero!" speeches from various nurses to realize it. My oncologist actually had the best words for me, and they were basically that if my pain is getting in the way of doing basic/everyday tasks, I'm not controlling it properly. I'd have to honestly say that was the very moment I started staying on top of my medication (with a couple of slip-ups, sorry doc).

I was given Benadryl for one of my pre meds, and it's wonderful. It helps to prevent allergic reactions and it has the added bonus of making you sleepy. My husband came to visit and I was evidently snoring through most of his visit. When I got home, I slept and then slept some more. The only gripe I've had is that in the past two weeks I get leg aches about an hour or two after I get home. Yes, I mentioned this to my nurse!

I was well enough last night to cook dinner for three people and I actually ate it all. I gained the four pounds back that I'd lost last week from being so sick - I suppose that's good? Now is not the time to diet, I know.

I'm looking forward to Christmas, especially if I keep feeling the way I do now. The worst thing I've got going for me now is fatigue, and that's been pretty common any time I've been in treatment. It's okay, I still go places and am as social as I can be, but some situations are still overwhelming. I have to sit down a bit, and got a little sore when I was standing in the kitchen for a long time - but it's easy to fix... Just sit down. Duh...

For the record, I still dislike Chipotle (though calorie-wise that's probably a good thing) and ice cream. Ice cream!? Blasphemy!! How could you, body?! No fair. No fair at all. I loved ice cream, and now it's just...Meh.

I think I'm experiencing my first real bout of chemo brain, though - and it's kind of funny! I haven't forgotten anything terribly crucial, more or less which exams people are taking at work and what day it is. Not a big deal.

Tonight I'll hopefully be able to bake some cookies, and attend a holiday party for a friend of mine. I hope I'm not too tired!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice cream.... this just isn't fair....and the memory thing....hhhmmmm.....what was I was going to say? (in Africa we call this a Malorone moment)

    Keep on trucking, Cara girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete