Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Simple Gifts



“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” 
― F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm playing it cool right now. Not getting my hopes up, and not wallowing in gloom and despair. I've had two infusions in the new clinical trial and am feeling pretty good. There's a lingering fog, sort of - and I'm told that's normal. I'm not really as reliant on pain medications as I was (I'm taking them once or twice a day instead of religiously every four hours).

When I was in the grocery store with my husband yesterday, he seemed really happy. I asked for the reason for his grin, and he remarked that I was walking "fast". I have been able to keep a more reasonable pace in the past few days when I'm walking. I still get tired easily, and can't really stand for too long without having a little back pain, but this week is going much better than last week.

I got to the hospital Friday morning and had labs drawn, and then saw the nurse and doctor for an assessment. In the course of one week, I'd lost nearly four pounds from being as ill as I was. My lab work looked good and I was cleared to have the infusion. There was one huge difference between the first and second week, and it made all the difference in the world.

When you receive chemotherapy, it's pretty common to receive what are generally referred to as "pre meds" which is not a reception with a bunch of soon-to-be interns and residents - rather they're medicines that you take orally or via infusion that may combat some of the side effects of the chemotherapy drug(s) you are about to receive. When I was receiving infusions during my last round over the summer, I got an anti-nausea medication (Zofran or Emend).

During the first round of this clinical trial, I had no pre meds at all. I also hadn't eaten anything all day long, because I didn't know how the day was going to go, and naively thought I'd have time to grab a bite somewhere. I was also alone.

Don't go to a chemotherapy appointment alone, if you can help it.

I had a pretty bad reaction to the drug (heart palpitations, sweating, and something that starts with a "d" that I don't recall) and was given magnesium at the end of the infusion, which also made me terribly ill. Zofran didn't touch this nausea, and I was sick for days. I missed work on the following Monday because I couldn't stop throwing up. I seriously pondered quitting the trial.

I spent the week leading up to the next infusion pretty terrified and anxious. My Xanax was nowhere to be found (we found it Thursday). I really in a lot of ways, didn't want to go through with it. It's strange, but I somehow feel a sense of duty to continue this treatment. Not just for my own well-being and chance of survival - but for science. There aren't too many ALK+ out there, and it's very fulfilling to me to be able to help doctors and scientists understand what makes this disease tick. I feel like I'm giving back. I hope that the data they collect helps someone else down the road, and that makes me happy.

I don't want anyone to ever have to suffer through the things I've gone through, and it pains me to know that there are hundreds of thousands of people that are in pain, that struggle to breathe and wonder if they're going to have another holiday season with the ones they love. Someone always has it worse, and it's heartbreaking to me. We need a cure. We need scientists, doctors, and studies/trials.

The next (second) infusion came with pre meds (Benadryl, Dexamethasone and Zofran) and I have had almost no issues, save for some pretty bad leg aches the first night, presumably from the steroid. I've been able to eat a little better, and have been sleeping well. I get a little cold - but my red blood cell count and hemoglobin are slightly below normal (not in a concerning way) and that just sort of happens. The solution? Socks. Blankets. Warm drinks!

My mother visited for my last infusion, and plans to come for this week's treatment. It makes such a difference to have someone there, or something to distract you. My most positive experiences have been when a friend or family member was there to chat with me and keep me company. Otherwise, you just end up staring at the timer on the IV pole and wait for the time to tick down. Those of you that know me probably know that I like to draw and doodle. I've been chided by bosses and managers at former jobs for doing so, and even had my pens and pencils taken away by one particularly crotchety boss.

Before treatment I'll ask my husband what he'd like me to draw. Once it was a Chococat kicking a soccer ball. This last time, I drew Boba Fett dressed as Santa Claus. It's entertaining and sometimes a challenge, and it gives me a bit of childlike delight when I show him and say "Look what I drew you in chemo!" where a child might say what they drew in class. None of my drawings have made it to the refrigerator - but I haven't asked, to be fair.

Ow?



I actually don't even know that I'd want a drawing on the refrigerator. I'm a little old for it, aren't I?

Anyway, we're 9 days away from Christmas and it's bittersweet to look back on the previous year. I had been in the hospital through Thanksgiving and into the early part of December. I was very ill. This year, I feel pretty good. I'm far more optimistic. I'm nostalgic, I feel the need for warmth and coziness in some weird, homey Bing Crosby-esque sort of way. I need my people. My friends. My family. All the people I love. I need cookies, maybe.

I don't want to say the supposed improvements to my health are miraculous or miracle-driven, though I'm not opposed to referring to them as such - if that's your thing. There's a lot of thought, planning and hard work that went into this trial. There were lots of experiments, failures and achievements by tens or even hundreds of scientists and doctors who studied for years upon years to develop the brilliant and analytic minds they possess. Without them, I might not be here today.

“We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up or fight like hell.” – Lance Armstrong

I choose to fight like hell.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful writing and display of your spirit, Cara!

    Many hugs and much love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete