Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Seis Cuchillos de Cyber

Fun fact: 6 is the smallest positive integer which is neither a square number nor a prime number.

NOT CyberKnife.


6 is also the number of CyberKnife treatment sessions I have completed. To review, the first session was to target all small tumors except the one in the mid-brain. The following 5 treatments were for the mid-brain tumor, which required lower doses of radiation.

Today, I am more tired than I can recall being in quite some time. I was told there'd be some blood drawn (I had a voice mail from my oncologist's nurse) but when I walked all the way to the place where they do draws for port people... Nothing. No orders on file. So, I head toward work. I work very close to where I have treatments (this is actually a wonderful thing) but the walk might as well have been ten miles today.

We're going out to celebrate tonight, barring any serious energy meltdown - we found a barbecue place outside of town and for some reason that just sounds really good to me. The 30+ minute drive to get there? Eh. I'll have to think about it.

The Radiation Oncologist said that the effects of the radiation are cumulative, and that includes side effects. So, the fatigue and any other fun stuff that might come along because of radiation should be in full force, and I believe it! I got the good news that I will be able to start scaling back the dosage on the steroid starting on Monday. I'll reduce the dose by half for a week, reduce it by a half again, and again... Until I'm taking 2mg every other day (I think).

I cannot believe I chose to work today. Had I known that the last session would make me so tired, I would have asked for the day off and I would have chosen to do absolutely NOTHING except lay around in the one room in our apartment that is air-conditioned. I feel very grateful however, that I have been well enough to work my shifts without problems.

Three cheers for being done with CyberKnife treatments!! (and, I got to keep my mask!!)

1 comment:

  1. And 3 cheers (and a lot more!) and hugs for you, Cara! Good news about scaling back the steroids. Hope you can enjoy dinner tonight and then sleep well. (I'll be interested to see what creative thing you do to your mask.)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete