Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A lot on my plate...

Get it?


We started moving stuff into the new place yesterday. It was so great to be able to go in and check things out. Can you believe I never actually looked at the bathroom? No claw foot tub, but it'll do. I love all the storage space we have. We bought a new bed, too. We'll have a guest bedroom and a bed for that as well. It feels like we're living in a real house (we kind of are!).

I'm continuing to taper the steroids. Yesterday was probably one of the worst (waking) days I've had with side effects. My face actually felt swollen (it still does, sort of) and I actually had cramping everywhere. My fingers seized up as I was slicing... An avocado (Gasp! More avocado talk! My interest in them is waning somewhat, though). My back tensed if I twisted a certain way, and my legs cramped several times throughout the day, while they normally only happened at night, before.

I was able to sleep pretty peacefully last night, I didn't wake up at all with a cramp - and actually didn't even take any muscle relaxers or pain medication. I took magnesium and potassium (as directed by the oncologist) before bed, so perhaps that's actually helping!

When I was told that I would start Carboplatin/Avastin/Alimta tomorrow, the doctor and nurse both told me to "eat up" because my appetite would go away, most likely. Today, I got similar advice in an online support group I post in:

"That's quite the combo you've got coming your way. I'm sure I don't need to tell you but eat up and drink up in the days before."

So, there it is. Tonight I think we're having barbecue (there's a rib place just down the street from our new place) and I've insisted on ice cream afterwards (if I am still hungry).

Speaking of barbecue, I am now somewhat fascinated by this list of the supposed 30 best BBQ places (according to OpenTable, anyway). Some of them aren't that far away from me and I'd kind of like to go to some of them.

I want to share something that has been going on for a while now, ever since I started having muscle weakness and pain associated with the steroids, anyway. I've been riding my bike to work but have found that my legs cannot carry me up the 5% grade to my house as of late. When I try, my legs will stiffen and cramp - I almost fell off my bicycle when I couldn't bend my knee to continue pedaling. My husband has been taking me home from work, putting the bicycle in the car. As much as I hate to do this, and as much as I wish I could ride more - I take so much pleasure in being able to make the short trip to work. Since I'm feeling a little better, I hope to take longer trips through the neighborhood's mostly flat roads.

It's such a little ride, but it's mine to make. I'm glad cancer hasn't taken that from me, and I'm glad that my husband is there to make sure I get home safely.

1 comment:

  1. oooppps, I posted the first message wrong. I hate it when text flies away...I can never remember what I said....

    Anyways, I used to hunt BBQ places while I lived in Houston...the best were the small ones...shacks on dirt roads....I love BBQ!!!!! (even more than quac...

    I love the new place....

    Keep on riding as you can and keep on posting.

    Later, girl.....

    ReplyDelete