Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Back in the saddle...Again!

I've been so lucky to have caught several days of good weather in the past couple of weeks! Miami Beach was wonderful (even on the "cold" day) and then we saw family in Columbus last weekend for St. Pat's, and then it was pretty decent back home for a day.

I got to go on a short bike ride yesterday, and that was good. It was the first time I'd been on my bike since last fall. It honestly felt a little weird. In Miami Beach I'd ridden a small step-through bike that seemed a lot lower to the ground. Honestly, my seat was probably too low. Anyway, it was weird - but it was good to ride again - even if the ride got cut short (long story!!).

Am I doing this correctly?


I've got my eye on a recumbent tricycle and I hope to test drive it very soon. Riding yesterday wasn't painful - just...weird. My biggest concern was lifting my leg over the seat and crossbar on the dismount. That's a tricky thing right now, and I was careful not to trip over my own bike or hurt my leg any more than it hurts.

My time on the bike was pretty good. I didn't feel any pain in my hips or legs. I did brake a little hard at my first stop light and that scared me. The seat post is a little high, but it can be fixed.

Meanwhile, I've been having some anxiety recently about my health. I'll have a scan in a little less than a month, but I'm fearful that the medicine I'm on isn't working. Xanax helps to allay this fear, which is good.

Since I got back from Florida I've had a bit of a cough (planes are vessels for disease, I know). I am out of breath after going up stairs while carrying something (could be attributable to a cold). I can take deep breaths, I can speak normally. I'm not wheezing, I'm not coughing up blood. I don't have a fever. Surprisingly, I wasn't particularly out of breath after riding my bike.

That, obviously... Is because bicycles are magical.

When I sit in a funny position, my leg hurts more (again, makes sense). Lots of this stuff is probably obvious, and my rational brain knows this.

Fire = HOT!

But my irrational brain thinks of course, that this is the pulmonocalypse and I'm deathly ill. In my defense, that's happened before. I will never not be afraid of things getting worse, or coming back, or spreading... No matter what happens. I could be disease free and would have a conniption if I ever felt short of breath. The fear will never go away.

I did get a new medicine to manage nausea that seems to work pretty well, most of the time. What usually ends up happening is that I'll wake up nauseated and then will be sick for an hour or so - during which time I take another medication (anti-emetic) which works but makes me sleepy. Cue me falling asleep on the bed with a constant stream of King of the Hill going on in the background. I can sleep through half a season, sometimes. Later on in the day I might feel human if I eat something. Steak usually does the trick, honestly. I have been known to eat a steak with nothing else - just to get the protein and calories. Also, steak rules.

One thing about Bristol Myers Squibb...They sure know how to cook a steak.

Tonight I'll attempt to eat some corned beef - it sounds good so that's definitely a start! With yesterday's dinner I was pickier than my Brother-in-Law... I got a sandwich at Melt and picked off most of the green stuff, took the shrimp off of the bread and just ate the shrimp. I may have eaten a few pieces of the bread, but it wasn't much of it. I feel like I'm getting enough to eat, I think... Not sure if that's my brain telling me I don't want food because I'm satiated - or my brain falsely telling me I don't want or need any more.

The Breathe Deep Cleveland 5k walk/run will have a website up later this week. I believe it might be live now, but don't want to tell you to sign up for anything yet in case it might still be buggy (my contact at LUNGevity hasn't announced that the page is up, so I'll wait to post about it).

Today I'm giving you homework. It's time to make an upbeat playlist for those gloomy days. In comments, please leave your favorite upbeat song. You can also Tweet me if you'd rather do that, or leave your suggestion in my Facebook comments. Help me out! (Note to Dr. P: Tubthumping is not allowed on the list.)

5 comments:

  1. Try this one! https://soundcloud.com/tio-flamingo/sunny-side-of-street Sorry last night's ride didn't go as well as any of us wanted. Don't give up on us! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Third movement of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://soundcloud.com/thegriswolds/beware-the-dog

    ReplyDelete