Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Don't do it.

No, seriously. Don't shave your head - not for me. If you do, I'll have you committed (not really). 

But, we loves you!
Yeah, I know. But I got to thinking about this some after reading a Dear Prudie article on Slate the other day - where a person writing in asks if it's weird to want to shave her head to be in solidarity with her good friend who may end up losing her hair during chemotherapy so that she doesn't have to "do it alone". 

Here's what I think about it, honestly. Do what alone? When it comes to losing your hair with chemotherapy, if it's going to happen then it's going to happen. At least in my mind, it's far better that you exist - that you are my friend. Who honestly wants to lose their hair? Nobody, right? So why would you do that to yourself -on purpose- when you didn't even need to? I know. 

Consider this my formal plea to you, to not shave your head on my behalf. What can you do? Let me dust off an oldie but a goodie. 


I really don't want you to shave your head. Seriously, you might look funny and you CHOSE to do it, so it's kind of on you. I (like Prudie suggests) don't want to see my bald or balding head in yours. Me and you? Any solidarity we have is because we're friends, or we're related by blood or because I married your son... There's a reason you are here. I'm touched that some of you want to shave your head - I am... But would you skip it, please? 

Bast Frands Forevar


Just be here for me. Pray for me. Eat a delicious brownie sundae for me. Do whatever awesome thing it is that you do, because it's important that we all keep being as awesome as we can, no matter the circumstances. Please, please don't shave your head for me. 

We good? Yeah, we good. Chemo starts next Wednesday, woo!

2 comments:

  1. You continue to show such spirit, Cara! I do want to know, though, if you'd object to someone else joining you in wearing a yarn wig on your Muppet days;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yarn wigs on Muppet days are welcomed and encouraged!

    ReplyDelete