Thursday, July 17, 2014

Someone saw my legs off, please.

Let me preface this by saying two things. First, be warned that I am going to whine throughout this entire post. Secondly, you should know that I HATE FAMILY GUY.

Hate is a strong word, and a strong word is required for how I feel about Family Guy. I hate it.

But, this is pretty much me - yesterday and today.

Yeah, it's totally like that. (PS: I still hate Family Guy)

The Dexamethasone can cause muscle cramps/weakness anyway - but it can be worse as you're tapering off the medicine. I'm drinking Gatorade, taking potassium and magnesium and still waking with leg cramps. In addition, I'm experiencing muscle weakness. I'm told this is normal - it's just annoying because for the past day or so now, I feel like I just shuffle along like an old lady (sorry to all the old ladies I know...I think you're adorable but when I imagine how I must look as I'm shuffling along in the grocery store yesterday, I totally picture you.)

I wish I could be so lively.

Sometimes I feel bad for not taking pain medication, but then I'd be slow and groggy. I don't like narcotics. I worry about Advil/Tylenol affecting my liver and kidneys (doctors have said moderation is fine). The truth is that I simply do not like pain medications. I take a Flexeril at night in hopes that the pain in my legs will be better, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm tapering the steroid per doctor instructions, I just have to hope it gets better as I continue to taper - and manage the pain as best as I can with, I don't know... Bananas?

To end on a positive note, there are lots of charity bike rides happening very soon for cancer research. One is Cleveland Clinic's VeloSano ride (this weekend), the Pan Ohio Hope Ride (end of the month) and Pelotonia (mid-August). Though every person has their own reason for doing the ride, I'm personally thankful for all of the people who are hopping on their bikes and hammering out some miles for a great cause.

Coming up next blog...


1 comment: