Sunday, July 27, 2014

Get MOVING!

I know everyone has had an illness of some sort where it seems like it's never going to get better.

I've been experiencing CIPN or chemotherapy induced peripheral neuropathy for a few days now. It has made me slow and a little cranky, not going to lie. One leg has a perpetual "catch" in it, and my toes feel like blocks of ice in the morning. I really don't like to complain publicly (or at all) so I'll leave it at that, but it doesn't feel like it's ever going away.

One of the solutions is taking steroids, and as I am now almost entirely tapered off Dexamethasone, I don't know that I'm actually willing to go back on it, long term. I know that's stubborn, but it's not like I can't manage. If I felt like taking a steroid actually drastically improved my quality of life, I'd do it - but I'd end up with leg cramps and pain from the steroid, anyway.

We had a great date yesterday evening, I had a pretty good appetite and managed to eat some pretty tasty eel. It's called Una-ju or Unadon. Barbecued eel over rice. Delicious!!

Pretty close to what I had.
Source: Flickr
It's so important to keep moving, even if it's at a snail's pace - and keep DOING! It's so fun and liberating to go on a date and have a conversation in public at a restaurant. Making googly eyes at my husband from across the table still makes me smile - after almost eight years - I hope it never ever gets old! 

Do stuff, seriously. If you're a cancer patient (or someone just not feeling good) with a serious case of the ouches and mopes (like me, sort of) then go outside anyway, if you're able. Two days ago I just sat out on my front steps and BS'd with my mom on the phone for a half hour. I felt the sun on my face and the breeze, and it was awesome. 

I am so glad that many have said that I'm an inspiration to them, but it's times like these I don't feel like I deserve the designation. I've been so whiny lately I haven't really wanted to post a blog, because I knew I'd complain. The thing is, it's okay to be annoyed with the crazy stuff that chemotherapy and cancer do to you.

I want people to know about these things, because they're real and they happen to people and there is unpleasantness and a degree of suffering. I don't tell you about these things because I want you to feel bad for me, to me it's no different than you telling me how your day was. 

Today is moving day! (and I'm at work)

I'm anxious to go home (I have two of those now) and to see my family who has come in from out of town to help. We have a few friends pitching in as well and I'm glad, because there is a lot to do. We have a cleaning team going to the old place tomorrow and Tuesday, but I'm sure we'll both have plenty to do ourselves. I'm sleepy now, so it seems a nice cup of coffee is in order - maybe when I'm done at the office! 

No comments:

Post a Comment