Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Greetings, from infusion!

My internet connection isn't great, but I'm going to try and post a blog.

I've been at the cancer center since about 9:45 this morning (I had to meet with my oncologist) but the appointment to see her was super delayed and we didn't get in until 10:30 or so. She explained the chemotherapy medicines (Carboplatin/Avastin/Alimta) and possible side effects.

We also got information back from Foundation Medicine - there are two more things (mutations?) that were found in my biopsy. There are some clinical trials that involve those new mutations, but the information on them is very limited, and we do not feel it's a good idea to deviate from our current chemotherapy plan. It's very good to have this new information though, because should newer treatments or trials arise in the future, we know that I could be eligible for them.

It's about 1:45 now and I have not gotten my first chemo infusion yet. We had to wait on some labs to come back, and they're ordering medicines to take before I start infusions (anti-nausea I think). I have to ramp the steroids back up today - but only for a couple of days. I was told I'll get tired, but that most side effects (if I have any) will be in a few days, or when we're supposed to be moving stuff. I know nobody will judge me for not doing much/anything in the way of moving but I still feel bad about it.

We went to a BBQ place last night for dinner, it's about a 60 second walk from our new place. It was really good, and we got to have dinner with two of our friends. We picked up some hard candy and snacks on our way home. I bought some lemon drops and some Kind bars (those are yummy). The lemon drops are great!

They did come in to set up my first infusion (Avastin) a little while ago. This first one will take about an hour and a half. I'm about to eat a sandwich that my husband brought over. This infusion is slow, because they have to monitor my blood pressure closely. I'll post more later!

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Cara! Seems odd that you can eat while having the infusion, but I'm glad you didn't have to fast throughout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely eat! They have snacks here, but normal food is fine. I had a half of a sandwich and some soup.

      Delete
  2. Constantly thinking of you ..... Aunt Jean

    ReplyDelete