Friday, June 27, 2014

Limited Edition

Undergoing treatment comes with limitations.

There's a monthly (bike) ride happening tonight that I desperately want to participate in. I had CyberKnife yesterday, so I was curious about going on a bike ride tonight. I finally got a hold of my nurse in Radiation Oncology who feels it's probably not a good idea to go on longer rides right now. She asked if I was having any headache and I said yes (which is common, evidently). She didn't think being out in the sun was a good idea right now. The doctor feels it's a good idea to keep rides at a "leisurely pace" and under 10 miles round trip until radiation is complete and I can be evaluated (MRI and CT).

Unfortunately, the total distance for my ride tonight would be at a minimum 16, but likely around 20-22. It really bothers me to not be able to ride longer distances right now. I know I couldn't do a hammer ride or anything - but I feel like if I could go slow enough (10-12 MPH) I could easily bang out 20+ miles...

Bleh.

I'm going to buy some panniers for my hybrid bicycle and start exclusively biking to the store (weather permitting) so that I have that excuse to hop on my bike. I only live a mile away from my office, but the short ride to work in the morning has been liberating. I'm slightly afraid of riding up the hill, because the last time I did that was when I started having headaches - then they found the tumors in my brain.

I understand the reason for limitations, but in a way they make me feel like slightly less of a person sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Riding your bike ... please do it safely as directed by your doctors. Isn't it amazing that doing the thing you love has helped doctors identify the cancer and treat it at every turn?

    ReplyDelete