Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Look what I can do!!

This is my husband with me, at a break point in a social bike ride called Cleveland Slow Roll. Slow Roll is a weekly Monday night group bicycle ride. Started by Detroit Bike City Co-Founders Jason Hall and Mike MacKool back in 2010, Slow Roll has grown into Michigan's largest weekly bike ride and has expanded to 5 cities so far. Slow Roll is for everyone, all ages and types of bikes, with a slow pace that's geared to keep everyone together and safe.

A good friend of mine is the organizer of the Cleveland ride, and I try to make it when I can. The ride usually ends at a restaurant, and last night was no exception! We got crazy amounts of delicious soul food, but I'm just not as hungry. Have you ever wanted to tear into a plate of food with reckless abandon and NOT feel guilty about it later? Yeah, I want to do that. I still kind of want to do that. Not on a daily basis or anything, but I want to. I still drank Kool-Aid out of a giant mason jar, though. Pretty sure it had a full cup of sugar in it. I'm not sorry.

This is the first Slow Roll my husband tagged along for, and I know he already knows this but it really made my day for him to go with us. I feel like I'm predominantly a social rider (though I have done plenty of distance tours and even a few time trials) and he's not - so it was sort of a big deal to me for him to ride along. Riding a bicycle is a huge part of my life, and my marriage is also a huge part of my life - it is nice when the two come together.

I'm really impatient about starting treatment, I don't want to wait anymore. I feel a little weird for actually wanting to be radiated - but I'm anxious. Not having any cancer treatment right now feels like using a computer you KNOW is full of viruses. You could do something about it, but for some foolish reason you are not. I know there are procedures in place - steps that have to be taken. I know this. But a creeping fear sets in every time I feel myself wheeze a little when I take a breath.

Let's get moving, already.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, Cara - you both look great! And I love that you rode together. (Did we ever tell you that our first vacation together (John and I) included bicycling with Vermont Bike Tours?) Stay strong - I know you both will!

    Love you,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete