Sunday, June 29, 2014

Musings of a 5:00AM Baker

I'm not even going to try and pretend like the past few days have been 100% sunshine, because they haven't. I haven't been sleeping, which translates to early morning baking/cooking and binge watching Say Yes to the Dress on Netflix. This morning's episode involves a young girl who is buying her dream wedding dress - she's in remission from Stage IV lung cancer. I am totally crying.

Extreme insomnia started a few days ago when I woke up at 5:30 and proceeded to make a strawberry pie before I went to work. Saturday I was up at 4:00 in the morning. Today, I woke up at 3:00, but was able to nap on the couch (listening to Spotify on earbuds) for a little while. I woke up again at 5.

More Say Yes to the Dress.
More baking - a beer bread using a local (Westlake, Ohio) beer.
More frustration. 

I have some jam with your name on it, bread.


I have sleeping pills - Trazodone - which is actually an anti-depressant... I guess it's working because while I'm not sleeping very much, I'm not terribly sad about it. I think it's time to ask the doctor for something else. I have Ambien, but I don't like it, and I've said why before. I've actually got some Benadryl and a lot of sleep aids are actually antihistamines, so it's worth a shot. Some have also suggested melatonin.

My sister-in-law flew in yesterday and we had such a good time. We got brunch, and then went swimming in Lake Erie. I got a little sunburned (I have tried nearly EVERY sunscreen and there's really only been one that works so far) but I feel okay. I'm not on the chemotherapy at this time, but I still seem to be highly sensitive to the sun. To be fair, it's only been a week since I stopped so it's very likely it's still in my system. Either way, sunscreen is very important! A good friend of mine just bought this and it's cheaper than the other stuff, I've also read very good reviews for it, so I'm ordering it today.

Last night my mother and father-in-law and cousins went to dinner. The in-laws and my husband and I will be headed to brunch in a little while. I expect I will drink a lot of coffee. They're going home afterwards. I might try to sleep, then. I love my family so much - it means a great deal to me that they're here. I served them the strawberry pie I made, and it was a hit!!

My next radiation appointment is Tuesday!




6 comments:

  1. We enjoyed both Sokolowski's last night and Fire today and LOVED your strawberry pie -- thanks for sharing it with us! It was so nice to continue the visit last evening with both of you, John and Carolyn, and
    Jennifer at your apartment. Hope you can nap this afternoon and sleep tonight.
    We love you, Cara!
    Pam and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful weekend (though sleepless) you had with your family You were our (Williams') best kept secret. It was bound to happen that your beautiful spirit would brighten the lives of so many others. Continuing thoughts and prayers for you and Jeff during your radiation treatments (counting down 3, 2, 1).. Love you so much, Sarge and Aunt Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are surrounded by such wonderful family around you!! And as a lifetime insomniac, I have taken more than my share of benadryl...and it's a success! However, I've also discovered that it leaves it claws in me the next day and I'm usually dragging myself around. My latest trick? Original formula dramamine. One of those and I'm out like a baby (the trick is to take less, not more...the more you take of either dramamine or benadryl, the more they speed up your heart) AND I wake up with zero "hungover" feeling. :) ~Charity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try Dramamine! I could not find my Benadryl the other day but I agree with you - sometimes I still feel looped the following day when I've had to take it for allergy needs. Thank you so much for the idea :)

      Delete
  4. Have you tried a mineral sunscreen only? Those may work better on your skin and you should not get burnt with them. Plus they are healthier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought some of the Alba SPF 30 a while back and have not tried it too much yet. I'd been using this (http://www.albabotanica.com/sun/sun-protection/revitalizing-green-tea-broad-spectrum-spf-45.html) which is nice but since starting treatment does NOTHING for me. I bought their mineral sunscreen (SPF 30) but don't think I have used it on its own yet (I put it on after the fact that the Hawaiian stuff wasn't working). I think the next time I'm out and about I'm going to give it a shot!

      I also have the Sun Bum stuff on the way. I think by the end of the summer I will be quite the connoisseur of sunscreens!

      Delete