Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Roid Rage

Out of all the medicines I've had to take since I was diagnosed with cancer, I am at my wit's end with one in particular. I feel like a child whining about this, but the steroid I'm on (Dexamethasone) really sucks. There's a laundry list of side effects, the worst (for me) being acid reflux. When I was not on the study drug, I was told I could take Pepcid/Nexium or other things like that. Now that I'm back on the study, drugs like those are a no-go. I have to rely on Tums or some other chewable stuff that doesn't really work. I wake up at least twice a week with reflux so bad I can't get back to bed for at least an hour.

Now, I'm broken out like a leper - and I've plastered myself in calamine all over my shoulders and neck. Yes, this is also evidently a side effect. I hate it. I keep reminding myself that I had horrible headaches before I started this medicine, that in an evening they went away and I slept peacefully - but seriously? There's no end. I looked at one side effect list, and I basically have all of the "minor" side effects. Come on.

In better news, the port area seems to be healing. There's some tenderness, part of me thinks there's a little bit of suture stuck in there, but overall it's not terribly bad. I can feel it "settling" (if that makes any sense) and that's a little surreal.

It's been very hot here. We put the air conditioner in the window and now I don't want to leave the bedroom. That's fair, right?

Oh and if you were wondering, I'm still addicted to avocado. Maybe that's a side effect. Probably. I'll enjoy this sweet romance while it lasts.

1 comment:

  1. Air conditioning, calamine, and avocado! Heavenly! -- Aunt Jean (How's Jeansa Beansa handling this heat?)

    ReplyDelete